Monday, January 24, 2011

I failed a test but my son is a winner!






We visited the doctor today! Because my placenta had been a little low, we got to see an ultrasound again to make sure it moved up- and it did! The boy weighs 2 lbs 5 oz now; his head is 7 cm, and he is positioned like a V in me- butt down, and head and feet up top. He will need to flip before delivery, but he has time for that. He loves to move so I assume if won't be a problem. Stuart and I really felt like proud parents looking at our handsome boy. I like the side profile pic of him where he is laughing (...or drinking amniotic fluid...depending on how scientific we are being).

I have gained 16 lbs total and will be 28 weeks tomorrow. Last time I measured a week ahead, but this time everything is right on track! (Whew). This stuff is all so fascinating to me so I'm happy to share what I'm learning because it has all been a mystery to me in the past!

There was a little drama surrounding my test for gestational diabetes. I almost passed out an hour after the super-sugary drink they gave me. We had to wait an hour after the drink, then get my finger pricked. It was almost time for the finger prickin', and the nurse asked if I was feeling OK. I was confused by the question and said yes, then wondered aloud why she would ask me that. One minute later, everything started spinning and my ears rang so loudly as I slumped down in my seat in a cold sweat, nauseated. My blood sugar had crashed hard. I thought I could handle sweet things! I told Stuart I felt funny and after seeing my white face, he protectively hunted down a nurse, who brought a cold towel for my forehead and cup of water as the ringing slowly dimmed and things came back into focus. It was funny! I'm normally so strong. As we have been seeing lately (with my "Plague" instance this week, for example) that I do after all have weak moments (haha- darnit). I just did NOT want to fail the diabetes test but she assured me that my reaction meant I was OK. We had to wait 2 minutes after the finger prick...then she reported that my iron level was good, but I just barely failed the test!! This was very disheartening because I know that she misread the clock when we started the test. It was 1:36, but she said 1:26 and I didn't want to call her out on it. I think if we had waited a few more minutes it would have been OK. I tried to explain that to her but she couldn't change anything that was on the record. It could also have been the cold medicine I was taking.

So, major bummer, I have to go back in next week for a 3 hour test, in which I will drink an even STRONGER drink (yikes!), then get blood drawn on the hour for 3 hours and wait in a small waiting room that only plays soap operas.

I can't say enough what a champ Stuart has been. He volunteered to come with me for this next test and tried to pretend like it will be fun. He carried my purse throughout our dr. visit and tonight he watched The Business of Being Born with me. I kept both of us up all night last night coughing, and he kept rubbing my back, then got up early to make me breakfast before work. What a sweetie. I should write a whole blog about him sometime soon.