Tuesday, April 29, 2008

teenagers

This is so interesting:

I had God TV on while at work today and this guy (John Bevere) was teaching.  Among many other things, here is one interesting point he made:

God never talks about teenagers in the Bible... He talks about babies, children, and adults.  People start puberty at 12/13ish; Jewish children have bar/bat mitzvahs at 12/13.  The point is that 'teenagers' are really adults and we should treat them so.  The prophet Jeremiah got his calling from God at age 16; same with King David.  Also, 11 out of the 12 disciples were under 20 when they got started with JC (Jesus Christ).  The reason so many teenagers are rebellious is that they are ready to be an adult, but haven't had the proper training or treatment from adults!  He suggested the wisdom of running a church/ministry using many young people, while the adults are guiding them with their wisdom.   Young people have the energy; older people have the experience.  They can work so well together. 

I'm really glad I heard that before I start having kids!  I had no idea. 
 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard anything like this, but it makes so much sense. Thanks for sharing and preparing me a little bit more for motherhood. Whenever that comes around :)

Rachel said...

And that ain't gonna be long huh?!